Statement regarding the intensified and widespread mass killings committed by terrorist military group
1. Since the failed coup on February 1, 2023, the terrorist military group has perpetrated mass killings. According to data collected by the National Unity Government’s Ministry of Human Rights up to July 2023, at least (144) mass killings of more than five people occurred, and (1595) innocent civilians were killed. The ministry documented 11 massacres in 2021, 85 in 2023, and (48) massacres up to July 2023.
2. According to the documented data, the last mass killing was committed in Sone Chaung Village, Yin Mar Pin Township in Sagaing Region on July 21, 2023. In that mass killing, (14) innocent civilians were massacred, including (4) under the age of eighteen.
3. The data indicated that terrorist military group has systematically intensified and escalated the mass killing because people are still maintaining their resistance against the coup.
4. The Ministry of Human Rights will continue to make every effort in bringing justice for the documented evidence of terrorist military’s crimes. To seek justice, the ministry encourages people to submit
information and evidence of human rights violations and international crimes committed by the terrorist military group.
5. The Ministry of Human Rights continues its efforts to eradicate the practice of impunity for human rights violations committed by terrorist military group, as well as to document the human rights violations in order to deliver transitional justice as part of the federal democratic union building process.
(The information of mass killings collected by the ministry is attached)
Ministry of Human Rights National Unity Government